Friday, January 16, 2015

Heading South!

I was accepted to graduate school in Nashville, TN, so Svenna and I will be making a big journey south! I got into my first choice school and my first choice program, so I am thrilled to gt to go. 
My new school!
I'm sure Svenna is going to be happy too, as there is a lot of delicious rich grass and big fields to frolic in.

I went back to San Diego over Christmas break, and right before I left Svenna was giving me the BEST work I have ever gotten from her. She was even starting to lower her hind end a bit and offer a few steps of "collection" here and there. I say "collection" and not just collection as lowering her hind end just makes her travel more level since she is so front end heavy to start with. Its not a deep sit with light shoulders and beautiful expressive front end, but it's a lot better than where we started, so I'll take it!

Apparently she forgot it all while I was gone though, as she was very nearly feral when I got back! I swear, I still have not had a solidly good ride on her, and I've probably put 10 rides in since I've been home. It's definitely frustrating, but I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that some of her resistance comes from lost muscle mass rather than straight up belligerence. My original plan was to start a jumping bootcamp of sorts when I got home to give the dressage a rest for a bit, but now I feel like I may need a month before she's even ride-able enough to jump. 

She's not all naughty though, as I've been able to give a few lessons/pony rides to some of my nonriding friends. I am convinced giving lessons is her favorite job- she hardly has to work, gets tons of treats and pets, and there are no consequences to blowing off the rider! As usual, she looks damn cute doing it. 


I have been having a lot of fun just enjoying her since I got back, without stressing if her contact is steady, whether our transitions are active, or if she's ready to show training. I like coming out and hopping on bareback, socializing, and hacking out on the farm. I'm hoping that when I move to Nashville that I can find a stable near a lot of trails, I really miss wandering around in the backcountry for hours. 

If I do get around to jumping her I'll make sure to have a witness to take pictures...its been a long time since we've had a photo day!

2 comments:

  1. Yay moving to a warm climate!! :-) Sounds like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Nashville!! It's a gorgeous town with lots of fun stuff to do!

    ReplyDelete