Saturday, May 17, 2014

Svenna jumps, and shows off her new haircut

I think she's rocking the jumping and the haircut. Today was her first time over fences while under saddle! I can't wait to keep it up, I think it's really good for her mind; she's always been a busy brain and it gives her something to focus on. We have another show in July, and I'd love to hit a few schooling jumping shows too if things keep going smoothly. She is just so much softer and more rideable than she was a few months ago.






She has been really, really good under saddle lately. She consistently gets the correct lead both ways and almost never pulls on me anymore. We are starting to really work on lateral work at the trot, which is helping her to be a little more flexible. Another thing I'm realizing I really have to start cracking down on is her head bobbing. She does it even when she's running around free, she just really likes to sort of pull her nose down and in and shake her poll side to side just a bit. It's super cute and cheeky looking, but probably something that needs to stop. 

My school schedule has been so hectic I only get to see her 3 days a week, but she's coming along really nicely. I think her body is looking way fitter and overall better since I got her. She's all shed out and sassy from all the spring grass, but has not gotten too fat, cresty, or showed any heat/sorness in the feet which is a HUGE relief. I've never had a pony on pasture before so I was really nervous when the grass started coming up. 

I've been off in various parts of WA doing field work for the last couple of weeks, and then dealing with the mess of data retrieved when we got home. It was good to get out of the lab, but it was very emotionally and physically draining. There was one day where we got a few leisurely hours in the evening to explore, and I snapped this pic on the beach:  


Only 3 more weeks till I'm out of class for the summer! I can hardly wait to ride and show and go backpacking...and other less fun things like the GRE, MCAT, summer school. At this point though, I don't care as long as there is SUN!

2 comments:

  1. Zoomy pony is adorable! She secretly wants to be a jumper!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Svenna is looking very spiffy with her new haircut! She has improved a lot; great job!

    ReplyDelete